Sunday, March 06, 2016

Prepping for Jour du Macarons and the March Macaron Map

Now I know why top pastry chef, Pierre Hermé created Jour du Macaron back in 2005 on the 20th of the month of March.
We're been having non-stop drizzle, grey, gloomy skies. I learned from Jill of Teatime In Paris, it's called 'les giboulées de mars' (rain storms of March).
Hermé must have decided we need our spirits lifted. Have you ever tasted his Montebello? Pistachio and raspberry jam. Just the sound of it makes me feel better. And the colors are celestial no?
I love two-color stripey macarons from Jean-Paul Hévin in Galeries Lafayette.
Rainbow uplifting colors from Arnaud Larher 93, rue de Seine.
Thanks to Relais Dessert world-wide pastry chefs you too can participate in Jour du Macaron, unless you live in Antarctica.
Paris is macaron Mecca. You'll find the names and addresses of all the chefs participating this year on their site .
1 don (donation) = 1 macaron. You can go to as many patisseries as you like. No one is counting.
And event has been extended to include the 19th, so if you hit Galeries Lafayette  there are 5 possible macarons waiting for you.
Last year Relais Desserts raised 50,000€ for charity Vaincre la Mucoviscidose (cystic fibrosis).
You'll want to start preparing immediately. Only 13 days to get ready. Study the flavors.
Practice
Standing in line patiently.
I got a look at Pierre Hermé's special 2016 brochure hot off the presses.
This is what your macaron will look like. I've been practicing this week.
Part of the fun is collecting the pretty macaron flavor brochures.
Last year your could buy an adorable carryall for just a fiver. It's going to a very good cause.
The year before citron vert tabliers (aprons)
In 2013 I bought this bonus wall chart of Hermé's. I refer to it daily...
Along with tasting macaron like mad I've been drawing Hermé this week like mad. I thought I'd have him clutching a king-size macaron.
I settled for the same size you'll get March 20th.
There is a new bonus watercolor for letter subscribers and renewers on Etsy. Especially nice if you can't make it to Paris for Jour du Macaron. Today we had about 20 minutes of sun. Hooray!
PS My maps are now on Bonjour Paris.
Take a look and please subscribe!
BONJOUR PARIS!

22 comments:

  1. Love this! I will be there for Jour du macaron this year and can't wait. Thanks for the link to the map - I looked here:http://www.relais-desserts.net/2016/03/au-programme-du-jour-du-macaron-2016/ and it seemed there wasn't a lot happening in Paris but I have your info now so I will head on around to all the "membres" to see what's going on! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relais Desserts does a great job of identifying its members map-wise.
      A good site all around.

      Delete
    2. cyndi from SD10:41 AM

      As Michel above said,a lot more is happening in Paris in March then I thought. Thanks to Carol,I am adding more and more things to my to do list.
      I am going to print out the macaron map.
      Thank you carol

      Delete
  2. Beautiful map Carol! And all that black w/ a touch..es of red♥
    Tu es la reine des macarons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing - am preparing a post just now on Macaron Day in Paris too. Love all your pics and especially love, love, love your map! Pierre Hermé should use it as the official map for next year! Not kidding.

    Thanks for the shout-out. Yep, think we've just about had all weathers today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always learn something new from you Jill!!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:39 AM

    So jelous i love macarons but in Milano we have the" macaral "at Rinascente ,of pastry chef Rinaldini !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:52 PM

    Mmmm...delicious! Some day I will try to make them myself since I am
    not anywhere near Paris or NYC. The only place I have ever found them is at Whole Foods. I wonder if they are authentic, not made in France, of course, but good enough? I do love the texture almost more than the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I Love the colors! So pure like a color wheel

      Delete
  6. Leslie6:04 AM

    Isn't this an explosion? I do not remember so many choices in the trips to Paris over the years....EXCEPT 3 years ago when I took my granddaughters to Paris and we enjoyed them at McDonalds of all places! I even took photos because I knew my friends wouldn't believe me! P.s. they were actually pretty good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...bring them to Paris and we'll do a comparative analysis OK!?

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love it when you post macarons!

    I think it is time to renew my subscription -- especially if a new bonus is included! (Grin!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Macarons framboise, citron et pistache await Jeanie!!

      Delete
  8. Lovely, lovely, lovely, dear Carol.

    I want to be in Paris on the 20th to celebrate this year, but will have to hope that some NYC shops might just be honoring the occasion.

    Breaking news...I am retiring, and will open the doors to scheduling freedom the day before Easter. I now need to have a review of all your posts from the past year to plan when I will travel to Paris. Ahhh, but why should I limit myself to just one visit per year?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow What exciting news Frances!!
      Big Congrats

      Delete
  9. Back again Carol.
    M. Google has now let me know that Francois Payard is sponsoring an NYC version of Macaron Day. Now I have to hope that I won't be on the shop schedule for that day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely picture! They look so tasty, especially those stripy ones. I will have to see if there are any places for Jour du Macarons here in Adelaide......

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that opening photo.
    After that it's all good, too :)
    Outstanding photo essay, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am looking forward to my March letter arriving

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those cookies looks too much yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you